July is officially National Watermelon Month. To celebrate all things watermelon, this week I thought I’d post one of my favorite summer salads…..that yes, does include watermelon 🍉😋
This week enjoy a healthy, cool, and refreshing dish without having to heat up the whole kitchen. If you have diabetes, try pairing this salad with some grilled chicken or fish for the best glycemic control.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced shallots (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- 1/8th seedless watermelon, rind removed, and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces feta cheese, 1/2 inch diced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) whole fresh mint leaves, julienned
- Whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, honey, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion. Refrigerate the vinaigrette if you do not plan to use it within an hour.
2. Place the arugula, watermelon, feta, and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens lightly and toss well. Taste for seasonings and serve immediately.
This salad is a great way to include some nutrient rich veggies and fruit with your meal which can help foster a healthy diet and can assist with weight loss and healthy weight management.
Let me know what you think of the recipe by commenting and liking below. Please let me know if they’re any other summer recipes you’re interested in trying.
The Diet Duchess