One of my favorite treats around this time of year is a warm cup of hot cocoa. With Christmas just one day away, I thought I would share this tasty homemade hot cocoa recipe with you so you can enjoy it just in time for the holidays. Whether you live somewhere cold, or are somewhere warm like sunny Southern California, this is a tasty and festive treat for all.
Now let me disclose that this homemade hot cocoa recipe is not healthy or modified in any way to be healthier. Following a healthy balanced diet means sometimes enjoying a treat every once in a while, whether that’s french fries, ice cream, or even hot chocolate. The key is eating these less healthy foods that are higher in sugar, saturated fat, and sodium less often and making sure that when you do have them, you keep your portions in check 😉
This was actually my first time making homemade hot cocoa, as I grew up on the instant packets, but like most foods and beverages, I can attest that homemade is definitely better. The recipe is super simple and only took a few minutes to make.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3 1/2 cups of milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- Add the cocoa, sugar, and pinch of salt to a saucepan.
- Blend in the boiling water and bring the mixture to a boil while you stir (watch to make sure it doesn’t scorch).
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add in the milk and heat until very hot but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Divide the cocoa between 4 mugs and add the cream equally between them.
- Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, and sprinkles as desired and enjoy.
I hope you enjoy this homemade hot cocoa with your loved ones, and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
The Diet Duchess